[Cob] supporting a tank

Karey Harrison kareyh at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:06:11 CDT 2011

It is really common to have raised tanks like this in Australia

I have a 3000 litre tank above my laundry - I think that is bigger than the one you are proposing. Like most raised tanks, it is on a post and beam structure, with corrugated roofing over the beams, screwed down much more than for roofing so the corrugations don't collapse, to distribute the load.  It had to be engineered for a one in a hundred year earthquake event even though we don't live in our laundry.

The thing to think about with tanks, is that they ALWAYS eventually leak. I would not want to put one on top of a wall that would dissolve when it did so.

I would recommend incorporating post and beams into the structure so you weren't depending on the cob.

I live in Toowoomba where we had the inland tsunami in January - I don't know if you saw it but 10 & 20,000 liter concrete tanks got washed away. Polytanks, if they are empty, can blow away. Our tank is corrugated steel - it gives it a bit more weight in the wind.

cheers

Karey
Queensland