[Cob] Dealing with moldy earthen floor issues

Brian Ziggy evacindustry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 21:43:05 CDT 2011

Hiya all:

I live in a very humid cob house in NE Missouri. The humidity often hovers
around 70-80% indoors, all year round (!).

As seems quite typical, the floor is the biggest mold culprit. You cannot
leave anything solid on the floor for too long without mold developing
underneath. Things must be raised up. Even under furniture that is off the
floor, mold development can be an issue. Get your nose close to floor level
and you will smell that distinct musty odor.

Other than improved ventilation aiding this situation, I am at a loss as to
what I can do to improve the overall mustiness issue. We do not have
electricity, so de-humidification is not an option.

My girlfriend has suggested we paint it with Kilz as a sort of desperate
last measure. We do plan on re-installing the floor in another two years,
but until then, we want better indoor air quality and a mold-free floor. I
hate the thought of using an industrial product, but perhaps there are
better ideas out there?

Any thoughts about how to cope with moist, musty earthen floors?

- ziggy

--
I live at http://dancingrabbit.org