[Cob] water tank replies

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Thu Jul 7 12:35:01 CDT 2011

Thank you all for the discussion on supporting a one ton water tank.
I noticed at least a couple times it was said that the weight of the
tank would be negligible, but in order to get this approved by the
county, I will need an engineers approval, so I will keep Ocean and
Janet's suggestion of Nabil Taha in mind. I bookmarked his site.
Thanks Janet. I was never planning to place the tank above any
occupied area, for those of you who wondered. Ed has a very
convincing argument about psi. Even one square foot of cob would only
be supporting 14 psi. Surely even the weakest cob has more that 14
psi compression strength. Sometimes we just don't think in such
logical terms I guess! But never the less, if I have been studying
this for years and didn't think of that, then what are total newbies
(building dept.) gonna think? Thanks again everyone who chimed in.
Damon in Georgia, USA