[Cob] Wood "straw" for making cob

Rob Hayes editable7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 21:11:51 CDT 2011

Hello Henry,

I wish we could see that Vermeer chipper blade photos.  I wonder if it had a
series of notches at the sharp part of the blade.  Maybe the wood was presented
to the blade in a way to make longer shreds.  It'd be great if we could find a
way to modify the chipper blades or make some corrugations which would produce
that "straw-type" wood fiber.  Didn't they used to call this sort of stuff
excelsior?  There was something like coarse wood straw used for packaging
fragile stuff and for stuffing old furniture too.  Other olde heads surely
remember too.
Henry, I've got a small electric chipper/shredder and I'm thinking of just
ordering some new blades so I can modify them for research.  The objective would
be to make wood straw and re-learn how.  But, certainly there is something
already patented which I should see and imitate  first.  If you've come up with
any ideas about this please feel free.  Before I subscribe to the patent search.
There is certainly some advantages to having longer fibers and some airspaces in
the cob too, right?  The chips, being shorter length, wouldn't coalesce into a
likely stabler structure the way you'd like with the longer wood fibers of the
excelsior, right?

"...The wood wool that is the topic of this article is that which has
traditionally been known as excelsior in the United States. Fifteen U.S.
patents related to "slivering machines" for producing small wood shreds  "known
as excelsior" were listed in 1876.
The 1868 patent "Improved capillary material for filling gas and air
carburettors"[39] is on a new use for "fibres torn from the wood by suitable
machinery",  that "is sold and used as filling for mattresses, its commercial
name  being 'excelsior'." This is the earliest description of the material by
this name cited by the Oxford English Dictionary, though the term "excelsior
mattress" had appeared in print as early as 1856.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood wool was used as raw  material for
production of wood wool panels in Europe, especially in  Austria. By 1930, the
wood wool cement boards were being widely  produced."...

2.

PS: Is cob being used for the Haiti housing?  I saw the link in your posting and
I'm wondering about cob being used to build in Haiti.  The Engineers Without
Borders hypar roof design and cob seems maybe perfect for the walls there too.

Hypar (hyperbolic paraboloid) Roofs
http://tscglobal.net/?page_id=341
"...in the most severe earthquake, TSC roofs themselves would likely exhibit
little more than lateral cracking."
"An important advantage to TSC Hypar buildings is the minimal to zero need for
lumber."

see the 14 year old TSC roof being jumped on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5kcr-7gCU

Surely, the Carter Habitat project allow volunteers and fundraisers too for
other upcoming dates in Haiti?  The webpage said:
"Please note: The application process for  this year’s Carter Work Project
has closed. We hope you will be able to volunteer with us soon!"
I'd like to consider joining them after the garlic gets planted on the farm here
in November.  Do you have a group going Henry?

Message: 1