[Cob] cob thermal mass

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Thu Jul 21 17:51:23 CDT 2011

At 03:00 PM 7/21/2011, Janet wrote:
>Be aware that if I mention the R value of cob I am talking about the
>effective R value of 19 per 20 inches: This was the result of an energy
>model done on a house in Arizona. Their building inspector passed the
>results on to me and my building officials accept those for my house. If
>anyone would like a copy of the letter, just let me know. This will be
>my signature from now on to satisfy Shannon.

that may very well be true for Arizona.  But it wouldn't be the case
in a different climate.  Think for a moment about Alaska, where it
could be freezing for days on end.  Thermal mass will not help, the
effective R value will be the usual 2-4, since the walls are
constantly giving out heat.  Or Miami where it's hot most of the
time, tho it would be a bit better there since insulation is not as
critical where cooling is called for as with heating, and the nights
are a bit cooler. (still it would be unpleasantly hot by nightfall
and would take all night to cool, which is why you often see people
in India choosing to sleep outside their houses) Thermal mass damps
down the process of heat transmission in and out, so that earth
building is great where it's at home, in New Mexico say.  But if
there are no temperature swings, then what is the mass going to store?
For most places in the country insulation is one of the most critical
aspects of energy efficiency and sustainable building, as I understand it.

Dean Sherwin
LEED Accredited Professional
CONSTRUCTION COST MANAGEMENT
3, Cherry Street