[Cob] Thermal Mass and R-value

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Fri Jul 22 09:31:30 CDT 2011

	There's no measurement for thermal mass is what that website is
saying. The research is in its infancy and there's a lot of people
throwing around "effective R-value" when there's no standard. Codes
do seem to want low U-value and high R-value which is the inverse of
cob's ability. "A good conductor of heat (cob) is a poor resistor of
heat." We need to educate ourselves and the building officials on
building with thermal mass. I've been reading a lot on passive solar
design. There's no need to "do" any more tests because they've
already been done and books written. I've read a lot about earth-
sheltered construction and they use passive solar design with high
thermal mass walls. Although they're usually concrete the same
principles apply to cob design. The U-value of 12" of poured concrete
is 0.55 but cob is probably more similar to brick, which 12"  is
0.31. if codes allow a concrete walled house, they should allow cob.
By the way, 12" of poured concrete has an R-value of 1.8 if you do
the math from the U-value. 12" brick is 3.23.
Damon in GA, USA