[Cob] floor maintenance

Howard Switzer howard at earthandstraw.com
Fri Aug 5 12:28:00 CDT 2011

We're having minor problems with our earthen floor.  Its seems the floor in
the main house is absorbing humidity and in places where 1/8 inch final coat
layer seems not to have adhered to 3/4 inch layer below; it pulls up under
furniture we sit in leaving holes 1 to 3 inches in diameter.  2 weeks ago a
bare sweaty foot pulled a piece of floor up; most of this has happened in
the last 2 months (4 holes). We have put several applications of linseed oil
in these holes to prevent further separating. We're thinking of sealing it
with another layer of carnuba wax in late fall when air is drier so as to
prevent more holes and then fill in existing ones with a mix.  Do you have
any other suggestions for prevention, maintenance?

--
Howard