[Cob] floor maintenance

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 17:28:34 CDT 2011

Hi Howard,
   I have had similar issues with my floor.  They showed up about 4 years after we finished the floor and the summer we rewaxed our floor with a beeswax linseed oil blend.
 I didn't think it was because of humidity.  What leads you to believe that humidity is the cause?

For me I think it has more to do with several variables.
1. Using cheaper hardware store boiled linseed oil - it doesn't have any other oils or resins to increase the hardness when it oxidizes so it is pretty soft.  In talking with the helpful folks at Landark Northwest they said that the cheaper oils have higher protein content and are more susceptible to mildew.  I think they may also be more susceptible to other degradation.
2. Applying the oil over the course of several days - I think this creates a highly saturated thin layer at the top of the floor that is more flexible since there are more polymers in the top layer.  (Each oil application reduces the penetration of subsequent applications.) It also creates a clear boundary between the highly oiled and less oiled layers.  This boundary is a week point because it is essentially the boundary between two different materials because the oil saturation is so different.
3. Excess buildup of beeswax from refinishing the floor - the beeswax stays pretty sticky.

Possible solutions.  I tried using a solvent to remove excess wax.  That was not very successful.  I found heating the floor caused the wax on the surface to melt and penetrate the floor which reduced the wax content and stickiness but did slightly change the finish of the floor because I used a propane weed burner and often that heated the wax so it sort of bubbled and the floor finish became slightly more textured.  Then I used a commercial wood finishing oil from Ecohaus that created a hard polymer surface to cover any remaining stickiness.

What kind of linseed oil did you use?  Thinner?  Proportions and timeline?  How old is your floor?

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation