[Cob] Slipstraw addendum (Mike)

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:53:12 CDT 2011

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Slipstraw addendum (Mike)

> Mike,

Good question on the racking, glad you brought this up, I never thought of
this.

Doesn't metal in something like cob (or slip straw) = sweating? (as in not
good with the clay/soil. I've no experience with metal in cob, just going
by what I've read on this). Wood sounds better.

Maybe you could use "let-in" corner bracing (less wood), instead of larger
diagonal braces or Xed metal straps (image-google "let-in corner
bracing").  For that you could use smaller plywood triangles (on the face,
or do inside the framing with 2 by 4s).  If you're wood to wood with the
screws, no sweat! (literally).  One would wonder if the dried light clay
straw wouldn't provide the rest of the strength you'd need.