[Cob] Insulation Values & Energy Efficient Building

Frank Hanlan fhanlan at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:51:02 CST 2011

Hi All,

Many thanks for the responses by Sky, Robert, Shannon and Mike.  In the late 1970s I became really concerned with conservation and sustainability so I began following energy efficient building and and use of solar energy.  For a lot of time I focused on airtight construction techniques and solar gain while ignoring the value of mass.  Still, I apologize for reacting to the comment about poor performance of energy efficient building techniques in comparison to building with cob techniques.

I think that cob builders can definitely learn from energy efficient builders and in fact hoped that I might be able to contribute some of that knowledge.  Key things that I think are important are maintaining internal air tightness of the walls & roofs while maintaining the breath ability of the exterior, thermal breaks, preventing rot, solar radiation and gain, heating & ventilation techniques, low voc materials with lesser amounts of embodied energy.  Two sights that I follow are www.finehomebuilding.com and www.greenbuidlingadvisor.com .

I agree with Robert that building cob houses in northern climates especially ones with lower levels of solar radiation does not work well unless some type of hybrid structure is used.  Otherwise like a house that is leaky or not well insulated large amounts of energy will be required to heat it.  I believe that embedding in a cob or slip wall is problematic especially in wet climates.

I agree with Janet that incorporating Larsen (note sen not son) trusses would be easier with straw bales especially when post and beam construction is used.

Sincerely yours,
Frank Hanlan

Edmonton, AB

If you have not demonstrated that you can hear the true state of the world and still act then don't expect to be told the truth.

Despite of the agreement in Cancun, Mexico we have still a great amount of work to do to ensure that global greenhouse
emissions have peaked and started down by the end of 2015 and to keep the average temperature rise under 2C to stop
widespread flooding and the displacement of 400 to 500 million people.