[Cob] Rocket Stove

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:29:00 CST 2011

Hi Chris,

One of the misconceptions of rocket stoves is that they do not need conventional chimneys.  I have built quite a few very successful rocket stoves and have tried several alternatives to a conventional chimney.  Some work okay but none seem to work as well as stoves with vertical terminations, especially stoves in windy locations.  By conventional chimney I mean a vertical stack at the end of the ducting run that terminates 2 ft. above the highest roof point with in 12 ft.  This is to allow the exit gasses to vent into a neutral pressure area when winds blow and it does indeed provide a little additional draw and improve the burn and stops back drafting.  Please see the section I wrote in the back of the rocket stove book for more information on this to help your situation.  Even though the final flue temps are often between 100 deg.and 200 deg. there is still enough stack effect to create additional draw and make the effort of a vertical stack worthwhile. IMO.  Best senario is to have the vertical stack in the conditioned space.  If it is exterior then insulating the stack is necessary.

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation