[Cob] Lots of interest and ideas are good

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:00:46 CST 2011

I think much boils down to preferences at a certain point. Natural
versus high tech. as someone else put it, tree hugger vs logger, etc.

I never learned the word can't so I will do it this way and have an
energy model done and see what happens from there.

There are other factors involved in what I am doing such as building on
one humongous chunk of lava rock and building a cob wall about ten feet
from the north wall that will wrap to the two corners of the house on
that side. It will eventually have a roof that will begin under the
eaves of the house.

The foundation will be insulated and the roof will be insulated. Both
according to code.

I intend to build in a damper on the fireplace and will eventually have
a glass front built for the fireplace that will seal. It will have vents
to open and close on the bottom.

These are but a few of the things that will make a difference. They all
add up.

Glad to see so much input here. It's been pretty dry lately.

Happy cobbing. Again, if you are interested in building this, please let
me know.

--
Be aware that if I mention the R value of cob I am talking about the effective R value of 19 per 20 inches: This was the result of an energy model done on a house in Arizona. Their building inspector passed the results on to me and my building officials accept those for my house. If anyone would like a copy of the letter, just let me know. This will be my signature from now on to satisfy Shannon.