[Cob] Repairing eroded limewash over earthern plaster

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 14:16:50 CST 2012

Hello Hugh,

I would recommend replastering with earth first. Sounds like the erosion is uneven enough that if you just went for a limeplaster repair you would risk cracking.  Begin by scratching through the limewash to give a good mechanical connection for the leveling coat.  Once done you could reapply the limewash or a lime plaster.  If you choose to use a lime plaster as a top coat I would put something like 10% lime in the earthen plaster you are using for fill.  That will help the top lime coat bond. It sounds like there may be a roof overhang deficiency or do you regularly get driving rain and hail?  or could you provide additional protection to the wall from a change in eves?

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation

Message: 1