[Cob] failure update

dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com
Tue Mar 13 10:36:22 CDT 2012

So, what I gathered from asking the list what projects failed and how
to prevent it reoccurring: Make the cob around your flue thicker,
don't apply your lime plaster or cob in freezing temperatures, make
your foundation as wide or wider than the wall it will support, if
you're going to use cobwood make sure the wood is cured before
building, use double-pane windows in cold country. One thing that I
can add from personal experience is, you can't do enough planning.
Draw out every detail then make a model using modeling clay and
sticks. It will save you a lot of time and labor if you can see the
project from beginning to end before you start. I read in a Habitat
For Humanity book, "if you can draw it, you can build it." Good luck
everyone with their various endeavors.
Damon in Georgia, USA