[Cob] Cleaning lime plaster walls

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 14:21:49 CDT 2012

If you don't have the time or inclination to re-plaster, you  could experiment with putting a coat of alis on interior walls instead, it's a lot less work than re-plastering. Alis is natural clay paint made with flour paste, powdered clay, sand and pigment (or use intensely natural colored clays). You can make your own and add commercially purchased pigments, or there are some really nice commercially prepared alis products (not cheap).

It wouldn't be appropriate for the sit-on furniture though. If you wanted white alis perhaps you could get white clay powder such as kaolin. (I've never tried making alis white but think it's doable.) Also, what about milk paint? It looks pretty nice from pictures I've seen. All of the above products exceed the beauty of the latex paints hands most of us are used to, hands down.

(you make alis in a five gallon bucket with a heavy duty drill and the same drill paddle that is used to mix dry wall putty)