[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 10, Issue 66

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:52:58 CDT 2012

Interesting, I never noticed the word "wash" in the original post from Tys,
just saw "lime" and was assuming he was talking about trowel spread lime
plaster.  I didn't remember or know that such a thing as lime wash existed.
I wonder why anyone would put what I just read is the usual 4-5 coats of
lime wash over earthen plaster instead of trowel spreading lime plaster.
Wash seems like a lot of work for no extra benefit (vs. lime plaster),
unless perhaps the trowel spread plaster is more difficult to get looking
nice.  You would think spread plaster would make a harder smoother surface
and less prone to catch dirt and soot from air or touching due to how it's
applied.

I'm assuming the lime wash is made of lime plaster that is watered down.
Also, can you tint the lime wash and is line wast the same as "white wash"
people used on wooden barns and tree trunks when I was a kid (particularly
in the US south)?  Maybe somebody here knows the answers to my questions.

Thaqnks