[Cob] Termite protection of earth floors

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:50:27 CST 2012

Hi Simon, I don't have experience with termites but here are a couple of thoughts.

1) Do termites in Australia get into cob walls or other DRY earthen masonry? If it is not an issue with dry earth masonry then I wouldn't worry about extra precautions to protect your floor against termites.  If separated from the earth by a capilary break of drain rock then your floor should be completely dry.

2) In order for the boric acid to migrate into the soil your floor would need to get so saturated that water would flow through the flooring materials.  Otherwise it will just remain as a salt in the dry floor mix. I think the boric acid will be more effective in the sub-floor mix rather than in the finish coat.  Stop the critters before they get so close to the surface.  I would also recommend a sub-floor (over the drain rock) made of crushed gravel (road base can be ideal on its own depending on the mix), sand, and small amount of clay slip.  This mix is tamped in place.  It has so much rock and so little soil in it that there isn't much room for termites.  And I should think they would choose many other places to collinate before the floor.

3) I wouldn't put down plastic sheeting under your floor unless you are going to have air conditioning running on a regular basis.  The cooler indoor climate will pull moisture from the soil below the house and in that case a vapor barrier could be helpful.

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation