[Cob] Termite protection of earth floors

Simon Matthews simon at karrak.id.au
Mon Nov 26 03:10:14 CST 2012

Hi,

I was thinking of making an earth floor termite resistant by adding
Boric Acid to the mud mixture. Here are some links to a couple of
research papers that imply to me that it maybe a good idea.
http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/20253
www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/gracek/pdfs/234.pdf

As the Boric Acid is water soluble, i was thinking one would have to lay
plastic sheeting under the Boric Acid impregnated mud. I don't know if
the termites eating holes in the plastic sheeting maybe a problem.

Another thought is putting the Boric Acid in the top coating of mud that
will be impregnated with Linseed Oil which would hopefully stop it
leaching into the ground below. I wonder if the Boric Acid will
interfere with the polymerisation of the Linseed Oil, or the structure
of the mud. I was thinking of using a concentration of Boric Acid of
between 2-4% by volume of floor mud.

I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts and experiences with
Boric Acid in mud floors and also about Termites and mud floors
generally.

Thanks
Simon Matthews