[Cob] report on earthen floor, 14 months in

Jill Hogan info at mat.org.za
Fri Jan 18 13:41:36 CST 2013

Thanks Tys

I did my first floor in 200 and it is still beautiful, smooth, unmarked
and very sucessful.
We dug down 200mm. We filled 100mm with stone from the property of
varing sizes and then compacted well.
We then did a 180mm pure cob layer which again we compacted
Once dry and make sure it is properly dry. The more you walk on the cob
the more it compacts. Then two layers of 10mm lime render (1 lime, 3
river sand, 1/2 the earth we had been using for cob)
The first layer being a scratch coat and the second screed smooth with a
metal trowel. The two layers were laid over two days

We left it to dry. then treated it with 4 layers
1st layer 100% raw linseed oil slightly heated.
2nd layer 1/4 turps and 3/4 linseed oil
3rd layer half and half
4th layer 1/4 linseed, 3/4 turps and then 2 parts bees wax to 3 parts of
the linseed oil/turps mixture.

  The old folk said oil the floor once a day for a week,
once a week for a month,
once a month for a year
and once a year for life.

I haven't done this and my floors are lovely, just did the first 4
layers of oil, they dont mark. We have put protecters under all our
furniture

Happy floors, for me make a livable happy homes.

Regards Jill

--
McGregor Alternative Technology
McGregor Alternative Technology Center "MAT"
jill.hogan at mat.org.za
www.mat.org.za <http://www.mat.org.za/>

We need to be the change we wish to see in the world - "Mohandas Ghandi"
McGregor Alternative Technology
If you do not wish to receive mail from us, please email unsubscribe in
your subject.