[Cob] report on earthen floor, 14 months in

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Jan 18 15:39:57 CST 2013

[snip]
> However, what I see in my kitchen (where most of the action is) is a floor
> that is NOT hard enough.  The wooden kitchen chairs, when someone sits in
> them (and, surprise, that happens a lot) will leave (permanent) dents in the
> floor, deep enough for a quarter to sit in.   I?ve dropped some things, and
> they?ve left noticeable dings.   Basically, it?s not hard enough.  That?s
> pretty frustrating, as I don?t know how I can repair it.
[snip]

It is not clear from your description what "100% oil" is (type of oil,
boiled/raw, additives included in the base oil, etc.).  In any case, you
may be experiencing something that happened to me years ago when I did a
floor in a hurry (I was leaving the country for a long period and short on
time).  I applied lots of coats (boiled linseed oil, no solvent added
by me, but it generally has a fair bit of solvent in it already) in a
short period of time and cooked the floor in between coats using in floor
heating at high temperature.  The resulting floor was quite solid so I
cut the heat and moved things into the room a couple days later.  The only
problem was that two days later the floor was soft again.  Ultimately, I
realized that the oil in the floor hadn't hardened, only the surface had
and it sealed the top trapping the solvent in the oil below.  Once the
heat was removed, the solvent in the oil below softened the surface in
the two days between when I cut the heat and started moving things
in.

Ultimately, all the table legs left dents in the floor (not a big deal as
this was my workshop building) and it took quite some time before it was
really solid, at least a year, probably longer as I could still
detect a faint smell of linseed oil over a year later.

While you didn't mention the heating thing I did, you may have created
similar conditions by putting on so much oil without giving it time to
harden between coats.

A simple demonstration of this is to take a large drop of linseed oil,
leave it on an impermeable surface and let it dry for a couple of weeks
in a cool place (not in the sun).  The outside will be solid but flexible
and the inside will be liquid.  This is essentially what happens when you
leave linseed oil puddled on your floor rather than removing the excess.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -