[Cob] Looking for answers

Dorothy Bothne dbothne54 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 09:47:58 CST 2013

Jeff,
the work is backbreaking hard. especially if you have to lift the cob up to top of tall walls (our home is 2 story).   we've been working on our cob home, mostly weekends, for 13 years, I think we'll finally be ready to move in this summer.  we're working on interior finish.
we arranged for workers to help because we can't do all of this physically ourselves.  one good point is that it's the type of work that doesn't require a lot of skill,  we used my young adult kid's and their friends who were in the late teens and early twenties - all unskilled labor.  it provided a chance for me to teach these young people regarding project management and sense of accomplishment and importance of sustainable design.  We provided lunch, sometimes dinner and had a lot of fun getting covered in mud.  we nickname the young guys and gals who lift the cob up to the cobber our mules.
I can send you photos's if you like, and can answer any other questions offline.  we're in Texas, just north of the Austin area.
Dorothy