[Cob] Windows in Cob Wall - WITH Pics URL

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO bill at auburnacupuncture.net
Wed Sep 28 19:45:01 CDT 2016

Greetings All,

Okay. TAKE TWO. . . Shannon responded to let me know there was an issue
for many of you in viewing the pictures I attempted to share. I think
I've solved the issue by INCLUDING the direct link here, which should
allow you to view the pictures without needing to sign in to Dropbox.
Thanks Shannon! The original detailed message is below the link if that
is wanted/needed. Many thanks for your kind consideration and support!
Onwards! Bill

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1qdluvmacdbtwzk/AAB0P4NasiZOEXS9wT59u26ha?dl=0

Happy Fall from Northern California, USA.

TOPIC: Functional design for windows in a cob wall. I'm wondering how
your windows have fared regarding keeping weather out - precisely...
water. Pics to follow, will help immensely in understanding the
following story. . .

My window design was such that I  covered the fixed double-panes of
glass with 2-3" of cob on all edges, and applied my lime stucco over the
cob on the exterior, and my earthen plaster over the cob on the
interior.

It's the exterior lime to glass connection that I'm concerned about. My
plan was to put a bead of silicone caulking at that joint to seal out
the rain water. However, the glass delivery guys, and a friend who is a
contractor (not experienced with cob, lime stucco, etc...) cast
disparagement onto this idea saying it won't create a functional seal.

The panes were installed, and in place and during the interior
plastering process BOTH of them were shattered (pic of that included
too). So I'm taking this OPPORTUNITY to cry A LOT. . . I mean, to pause
and reassess, and email you.

I am thinking of a complete re-design if y'all think I should abandon my
current design, OR I'm thinking of squirting a bunch of roofing tar
along the edge of the glass and squishing it into the framing so it
squirts out the edge on the exterior where the stucco meets the glass;
thus creating a seal.

Lemme know what you think. Thanks!

Bill

SEE LINK TO VIEW PICTURES IN A DROPBOX FOLDER TO FOLLOW DIRECTLY AFTER
THIS EMAIL.

--
Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO

Wright Acupuncture and Massage

251 Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. # 205

Auburn, CA 95603

530-886-8927

http://www.auburnacupuncture.net

This e-mail and any attachment is a private communication and may be
confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, copy, use it or disclose it to others. Please
notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete it and any
attachments from your system. Thank you.