[Cob] Can I lay tile over a cob subfloor?

avjyoung at shaw.ca avjyoung at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 26 14:45:11 CST 2017

All of our subfloor and most of our finish floor is cob, but we are wanting to lay some tiles in the bathroom to stop any water getting in. I am OK with bedding them in a layer of the finish cob with a spacing between them to allow for cob drying (with cob well oiled and waxed), but my husband is not sure this will keep it dry enough. He is keen on a layer of thin waterboard over the cob subfloor, with the tiles laid on that, to prevent any water getting in. I don’t think we need to go this far, but would love some insight.

Ta muchly,

Anna
Cob/strawbale hybrid in Victoria BC. Ten years and counting....