[Cob] Can I lay tile over a cob subfloor?

tbachdrums2 at yahoo.com tbachdrums2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 23:19:29 CST 2017

Anna,

How many SF or square Meters is the bathroom and the amount of floor to be tiled?  Is the shower/bath area completely dried in, or will some humidity get to the subfloor through wicking from the walls to the subfloor?
How high off the ground level is the cob subfloor?

It's hard to say without seeing your set up, but for the areas that receive a ton of moisture like a bathroom area, I would go with as few surfaces that will harbor mold as possible, and favor surfaces that are easy to clean.

If this area is going to have a bath and shower,...then embedding it in cob, at least to my ears of working in Texas and North Carolina, seems like that will mean a lot of work to keep it clean and dry in the years to come.