[Cob] Can I lay tile over a cob subfloor?

avjyoung at shaw.ca avjyoung at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 27 00:46:42 CST 2017

Good questions; the bathroom is about 12 by 6 feet. The shower is at one end
(no bath) so that end will get wet. The sink is down one of the long sides,
so the floor around there will get wet too.  I guess we need a strip around
3 by 4 feet in front of the shower, and about 2 by 4 feet in front of the
sink, at a minimum. The shower (no bath) is a self contained fibreglass pod
thing (we are caving to time pressures and four splashy people) so no
worries there. One wall is strawbale but on an 18" foundation wall, the
others are frame or frame on cinderblock, so it's just water from bathroom
use we are concerned about. The bottom of the cob subfloor is about 2" above
the top of the finish ground level outside, with pumice, vapour barrier, and
roadbase below . The subfloor is about 4" thick and has radiant floor
heating going through it, so it does have some drying capability.

Anna