[Cob] Lime Render - FAILURE

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:04:14 CST 2017

Hi Bill,

You are correct that wet and expanding clay plaster base coats can crack lime top coats. I could agree that is the primary cause for the cracks low in the wall where repeated direct wetting can occur.

But looking at your photos you also have horizontal cracks at the top of the door arch which seems to me that it would be sufficiently protected by eaves. I do see a discoloration below the cracking on both sides that lead me to ask if there could be other moisture issues in play.

- Are your walls cob?

- Does the cob go all the way to the roof decking? or is there slip-straw above the level of the door? Are the walls uniformly thick?

- If the walls are cob, how long did they dry before plastering? What were the drying conditions?

- What is your interior plaster? and what are the humidity levels inside the building? More vapor permeable interior plaster can allow walls to move moisture to the exterior where once it reaches a plaster with lower permeability can concentrate moisture.

Hope these lines of questions are helpful,

- Bernhard

You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bicycle, and that is pretty close.

____________________________________http://www.bernhardmasterson.com
Natural building instruction and consultation

Message: 1