[Cob] Lime Render - FAILURE

Bill Wright bill at auburnacupuncture.net
Fri Feb 17 11:43:09 CST 2017

Happy New Year of the Fire Rooster All!

I'm attaching photos here for you to view online (below my message ;^).

The images show the cracking of a lime render applied less than (1) year ago over an earthen brown coat. The Brown coat was 3 parts sand to 1 part - 90% indigenous site clay and 10% lime (NHL 3.5). The final lime render was 2.5 parts sand to 1 part - 90% lime (NHL 2.0) and 10% indigenous site clay. A pigment from Trans-Mineral USA was added for color to the recommended acceptable amounts according to the manufacturer of the pigment. (I think TM USA was the source, I know we got our lime from them - St. Austier NHL).

My Natural Home Builder and I believe that the greater than average rains in Northern CA this winter have saturated the lime render to the point of moisture moving thru the lime to the clay brown coat underneath; which is expected, and not usually a problem. . .  Not a problem UNLESS the clay expands and cracks the lime render above; which we believe is the mechanism of how the lime is cracking.

The real problem is two fold:

A. I'll bet my bottom dollar the County will not pass my building w/ cracks in the render - big ouch!

B. The process of water expanding the clay underneath is progressing to the point that the lime is delaminating and falling off in certain areas. While this is not really a huge structural issue, it's a bummer, and it's unsightly to say the least. Over time, it could start to wear down the cob/earthen layer beneath it, which will create more work to fix it.

So, my question is this. . . What would you do next to remedy this situation and create a functioning wall given my current situation?

PICTURES:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib58lvdq5crtly4/File%20Feb%2017%2C%207%2059%2025%20AM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y52e8x455ngiuv/File%20Feb%2017%2C%208%2000%2012%20AM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwfe9b638zsi1z4/File%20Feb%2017%2C%208%2000%2055%20AM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut8bxeksxbhb2y4/File%20Feb%2017%2C%208%2001%2023%20AM.jpeg?dl=0

Many Thanks!

Bill

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO
Wright Acupuncture and Massage
251 Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. #205
Auburn, CA 95603
530-886-8927
"There is no path to healing, healing is the path"