[Cob] cob + container frame

Sarah Pino pinogrigio12 at gmail.com
Fri May 26 15:37:30 CDT 2017

Thank you for all the replies :)

To clarify a few points:
We do plan on having a structural engineer finalize/tweak our plans once we are happy with everything. Right now we have a basic sketch design and have sent it to a fabricator to find out how much it would cost to make the cuts into the container that we want. We have also spoken with a few architects to cost out blueprints and drafts. We made a connection with a house demo crew near us and salvage materials. We are basically trying to find out if our design fits in our budget or if we have to go back to the drawing board.

The reasons we want to do a cob container hybrid are insulation and a sturdy structural foundation. To pass certain building codes we need to prove the roof can handle a certain snow load ect and feel that the container gives us a better starting point. The reason for cob is insulation factor.
My biggest concern is condensation and rust like Barbara pointed out. I have seen a house made like this, but there isn't a lot of information on the how. If they had to spend 20,000 sealing it with a special "paint" or spray foam insulation it wouldn't be worth it. But if there's a cost effective material that works I would love to know about it.

And to Barbara I would love the number we are still shopping around and getting quotes and finalizing a lot of details so anyone with experience who is willing to help is very much appreciated

Btw I hope I am formatting this correctly, I am not tech savvy by any means.

Thanks,
Sarah
Sent from my iPhone