[Cob] Cob + container frame

Bill Wright bill at auburnacupuncture.net
Thu May 25 16:57:51 CDT 2017

Hi Sarah,
My experience permitting a bale-cob structure in Northern California (Nevada County) has been that if you have the, "wet stamp" of a structural engineer, your wheels will be greased. You may need to write up some, "justifications" for why you're doing what you're doing, but if an engineer is on board, you should be good to go.

. . .that was my experience, and I'm happy to say my building passed its final inspection recently. However, structurally speaking my building is of timber frame design and construction which is NOT a huge stretch at all for building inspectors. The more, "out there" (ie. away from the new normal) the more you may need to justify your building techniques.

You could also consider permitting it as a studio, or shop, which is less stringent than a dwelling.

$.02
Bill

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO
Wright Acupuncture and Massage
251 Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. #205
Auburn, CA 95603
530-886-8927
"There is no path to healing, healing is the path"