[Cob] to drill holes in cob....

Ed Raduazo raduazo at verizon.net
Tue Mar 5 11:56:40 CST 2019

       I needed to install a tiny wood stove in my shop and found a great way to put holes a the cob wall. I took a 1 inch bit from a brace and bit set and cut off the square drive end so it would fit in my 1/2 inch hammer drill. The bit went through 12 inches of cob in less than a minute By drilling multiple holes and running them together by putting lateral force on the spiral threads of the bit I was able to form and shape the hole. The 12 inch by 8 1/2 inch by 18 inch stove works well, but I had to find an adapter to go from the 3 1/2 inch pipe of the stove to 4 inch pipe available from my local pellet stove place. I found a stainless steel muffler adapter pipe that was a perfect fit. The 3 1/2 inch end of the adapter pipe had to be swaged out by a hare to fit over the 3 1/2 inch pipe of the stove. Going through walls more than a foot thick would require drilling from both sides or a longer bit.

    pictures and stove information available upon request.

raduazo at verizon.net
Ed