Cob: Re: Origins of Cement vs Cob

David Knapp renewables at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 21:27:09 CDT 1999

No, you are incorrect, I did not say they made cement.  I said cement in its present form was invented just after WW2.  The Pyramids were not constructed of massive stone blocks either as most historians erroneously thought.  Each "block" was poured wet into place using forms with a mineralized (local materials) mixture that used a binder, most likely boiled cactus juice.  This is the only way you can get each and every "block" to come out identical to the previous one.  It was only natural to assume they were all stones hauled from quarries without breaking them many miles away since that is what it looked like to historians.  Most any natural builder could of told them this, put they were never asked.  This was a remote variation of earthen floor recipe, except almost no clay content.  Remember, they had to use locally available materials and what did they have the most of?

Of course the feat of the Pyramids was nothing compared to the Great Wall(s) of China (many generations of development), which used many variations of rammed earth, cob, abode blocks, and stone stacking to achieve their impressive results.  Each section of the wall was constructed of natural, locally available materials which changed depending on the immediate region.

It was estimated that eight million folks died making the Great Wall.  Let's hope the number of injuries and deaths resulting from cobbing our homes is kept to an absolute minimum.  Safety is #1.  This includes all of the nasties like VOC's that leach from man made materials.  Let's all use only natural materials like we learned at the Colorado natural Building Workshop.  Also, keep them shovels out of the cob pit when the bare feet are in there too (try that with cement!).

Dave