Cob: cob & Enertia, best states for cob, permaculture!

Jill writejill1 at cox.net
Tue Jan 7 09:43:13 CST 2003

Is it possible to utilize cob building with the Enertia building system? (definition pasted below)

In the Enertia® Building System, solid Energy-Engineered(tm) wood walls replace siding, framing, insulation, and paneling. An air flow and access channel, or Envelope, runs around the building, just inside the walls - creating a miniature biosphere. Here solar heated air circulates, pumping and boosting geothermal energy from beneath the house, storing it in the massive wood walls. Thermal inertia causes the house to "float" between the cycles of night and day, and even between the seasons.http://www.enertia.com/science.htm?

We are lucky to own a business that allows us to live virtually anywhere. So, we wonder, what area of the county has the best situation for cob building, soil, water collection and solar energy. Is there a particular set of states?
We are reading about solar power and realize that the sunbelt states are highest, with the NE and NW being the lowest. However, after reading the post about someone's ground being stone under the first layer of dirt... we realized there is much more to consider - soil! Any suggestions?

Lastly, how many of you successful sustainable housing families, also incorporate alternative energy, permaculture or mini-farming? What other activities do you utilize?

Thank you!
-Jill (married 15 years, with four kids ages 2 to just turning 14, two dogs. We have changed our lifestyle in various ways, and feel we are prepared for this ultimate change!)