Cob: Re: where in the US for cob

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 8 23:35:29 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here.  I will have to read your correspondence several times since you said so much!  I would like to forward your thoughts to a group I am involved with that are working on energy alternatives and sensible life styles.  Is that ok with you?</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I have been using homeopathy for a few years now and am impressed with it.  Do you practice ? I am intrigued by this science, art, magic!!!   </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I have a small farm in WV.  They call them farms here but it is more like a vertical woods.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I am going to be somewhat forward since I only know you though this e, but I too tend to take on urgency when communicating with others.  It has taken 8 years in the hills of WV to come to the position that not everyone is going to get sensible.  I have always had a particular contempt for missionaries who go to other places and tell the locals how to live and then to my horror I found myself being just that! Did a little recount of my circumstances and found that all that was truly necessary was to do what can be done and if others say "Hey what's up? What have you got going?  Then show them.  The harsh reality is that not everyone is going to figure it out.  The old man who says " Aw I don't care about clean air I ain't gonna live to see it get that bad."  The mother who said," I don't worry about getting my kids to eat nutritious meals, we have health insurance.,"  or the lady who sat at her picture window and asked her mate what the weather was going to be, he answered as he watched the TV." I don't know they ain't got to the weather yet."  When out the window a darkening of clouds and a sheer of rain and wind were working their way up the hollow.  I did not make these up!  Most people are sheeple, visionaries are either killed or followed or followed , killed and then you get their birthday off!  My tack is to share my understanding with like minds, do my thing and if I get an audience, invite them to help.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>  My neighbor on the ridge saw me pushing stones around one day and stopped to ask what I was doing.  I told him that I was building a raised garden.  He laughed at my foolish ways and went on.  My garden was magnificent that year ( the only year)  and the beds were easy to tend ect ect.  The following spring my neighbor stopped to tell me about the raised garden beds he was building and all about how good they were.  He went to great lengths to tell me all about raised gardens, and the advantages and offered advice on mine.  I laughed and thanked him and he went his way.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>My little cob experiment has caught some eyes and some amusement among the locals.  My only task is to succeed.  If it is good and it fits their needs then they like my neighbor will teach me how to do it!!  Bravo!!  Smile</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Now to business, In a copy of fine homebuilding that I have loaned out so I can't tell you which one they had a heated floor that was set up much like the Roman baths.  The difference was that the smoke form the heat source was not circulated in the ducts under the floor, only the heat which was captured, the smoke was vented.  I mentioned my farm is perpendicular so what I am proposing is to put my stove in an in ground (cold storage) space attached to a green house at level #1 then let the heat rise into my floor ducts at level #2.  I want to build a home that is cost effective, hospitable, mantainence free, ecologically sane, mortgage free, fire proof and will be on the cover of Architectural Digest!!!  Woo Hoo.   </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>For the good of all Cat</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Mike Swink" <MSWINK77 at MINDSPRING.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Mike Swink" <MSWINK77 at MINDSPRING.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: "Jill" <WRITEJILL1 at COX.NET>,<COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Re: where in the US for cob
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:22:57 -0500
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Before anyone builds do what I did not do. Go to local city county. Ask for map showing areas that considered not suitable for building. Such as potential BioSpheres or wetlands or future construction of waterways etc. Most of this can be done online.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Wetlands and some map from UN Bio group shows areas they will preserve for the future generations.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Right wingers almost had be convienced planing for the future was wrong. But as one of past mentors. America is too young compaired to Germany to even know where things are to go. In Ohio when my friend lived in Cleveland there was still horse and wagons and blacksmiths pinging in the morning early hours. The Biggest news was then a Castle was being built to last 1000years.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>It only last 30 yrs amost. Because highways and other new things had to use the land.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I did find that some of the old farm lands are still the best. ALthough after seeing thousands of back to landers come and go in North Georgia I must say that you need to be near education and medical schools for future needs of your children. Also plant fast growing shrubs like the Buford Holly that acts as wind sound break plus offending eyes of nosey people ha ha.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>If a cob home is just for insurance[From difficult times] and weekend escapes. Then I would not care where I built it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I am real encouraged that the UN did do research and show areas which nature alone can use and replinsh what we dummies need.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Solar heat is nice but I still think the best way to heat home is a insulated box outside the home which provides water circulation through floors but can be operated by Pellets,Electricity,Wood,Oil,Coal, and even solar.Stay away from anything that circulates air in home except for exchange purposes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>OFF TOPIC:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Look up Air Wells /Electro-Osmosis(NOT a Filter) /Solar Cooling
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Air wells provide a way to extract water from the air w/o electiricty.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"The collection of atmospheric humidity is an ancient technology that has been largely ignored in modern times. The most impressive example of this science was discovered in 1900-03 during the excavation of Theodosia (a Byzantine city dating to about 500 BC). Archaeologists found numerous pipes, about 3 inches in diameter, leading to wells and fountains in the city. The pipes were traced to a nearby hill, and were found to originate from 13 piles of limestone, each about 40 feet tall and 100 feet square. This system of air wells produced as much as 14,000 gallons of water daily!"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> Air Wells & Dew Ponds Robert A. Nelson From www.rexresearch.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>And the same no energy inventions like Electro Osmosis which helps direct water towards or away from where ever it is. 2 volts dc is possible with two electrodes that are diffrent in metal to create this voltage from earth alone. Commercial units that use E/O use diffrent settings from 2 to 12volts dc very low current needs. It was invented in early 1880's when a person noticed effects of low voltage to extract water from clay. Then now it is used to dry concrete to set up faster. And one shcool which every year or so would have 2ft of water to enter thier buildings basements. Now with small E/0 unit it keeps it dry. Goverment uses it in underground sites. But could work very well with Air Wells.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Lehmans.com has a great article on solar refridgerator. The 90deg F, is all that is required to operate cooling system. Imagine a unit in the trunk of a car which heats up faster than passenger compartment of car. THen coils that are in the passenger side draws the heat from a parked car all done with out electcity. Would save a few kids from death and few grandparents from prison time. [If anyone cares.]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Or it could keep the tempature diffrental from becomeing the same temp in air wells which the French built that worked ONLY ONE Day then it was declared everyone had to buy water from city to collect taxes for the goverment. I expect it might be best to put a fan and light on your air well to not cause alarm. When the goverment gets out of oil soon after common sense might have time to come again to the america people like in the begining when children at the age of 13apox built thier frist simple dwelling. THis taped into the vast selfish nature and energy of those that age and focused this to first learn how to have a goal and shelter or a base so if they ventured off to hollywood they would at least have a place to return to or the knowledge to build themselves shelter.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Refigerators will not have the heat source vented to weaken door seal that allows warm air to enter fridgrator. And that heat from unit would be vented out in summer or used to heat water etc. Or to add heat to homes in winter.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>When common sense returns then we may be a people not so easly undermined. My family has a huge farm that has lasted six generations due to one thing. NO DEBT. and it Pays for TAXES. Another thing is that we should all hope that people will have areas to build summer homes which could be rented out or used in times of need like sickness when we need no overhead.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Swink soon going to heaven. Go to homopathics while in GOOD health or you migth not have any choice but the big gugs like microwaves chemo.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>