Fwd: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 10 13:25:08 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Myra Bonhage-Hale" <LAPAIX at IOLINC.NET>
<DIV></DIV>>To: "Yun Que" <YUNK88 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:29:07 -0500
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>> From: Yun Que
<DIV></DIV>> To: lapaix at iolinc.net
<DIV></DIV>> Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:45 PM
<DIV></DIV>> Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> Model of the cob building
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> I'm good for monday the 27th you have no idea how excited I am about all this! I called about and could not find sufficient amount of play clay at a reasonable cost, of the soft forever variety but found some gray wet stuff that will dry hard for a good price with a 40% discount at Crafts 2000. So we will need to put down a plastic and build on a board with a few sponges to keep things tidy. A plastic table cloth will probably do just fine. See if anyone out there has one willing to sacrifice for the cause!! I will bring the clay. A good firm board with a 1"X 2" frame as a base would be good too, I can do this at my shop but will need to know the scale we will be working with so that I know what size to make it and aprox how much clay we will need..........Start collecting little stones (to scale for the model foundation) We could use fish tank tube for the drains below grade, I am hoping that the model will have a look that will sell the concept to the grant givers!! My only fear is that it will be ridiculously heavy and impossible to move thru a door way if we need to take it to the capital!! Ha Ha Maybe we could add a little saw dust to give a more authentic look and lighten up the mass? I will try that before the tea and see where it goes. Some glass will be needed for the windows and a scale pattern cut from cardboard to get the clay around in the right proportion. Cut away areas could be done to show inner structures like the blocking around door jambs and the roof could lift off to expose the interior. This should keep us busy until spring!! OK that's as far as I can think for now.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> for the good of all Cat
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> >From: "Myra Bonhage-Hale"
<DIV></DIV>> >To: "Yun Que"
<DIV></DIV>> >CC:
<DIV></DIV>> >Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>> >Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:55:19 -0500
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >P.S. Denise, what is James Martin's email? (the man who came to cob bench day)?
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >Introduction: This meeting (see below) will be the first this year of those who are interested in learning how to build cob buildings in West Virginia. The instigators (who shall remain nameless until the meeting) thought it would be a good idea to meet together to design the building in clay and whatever before Spring, so we thought we would take tea and see.........
<DIV></DIV>> >So how about a tea time! Let's see - the 25th is a weekend - so how about Monday, the 27th of January. Does that sound OK? or would you prefer the following weekend? I am sending this to all who have expressed an interest in the past.
<DIV></DIV>> >the idea is to have an all day - say 10 to 4 mtg. at La Paix Herb Farm - I will be responsible for refreshments and lunch.....and of course, the tea in the parlor! We hope to have clay and design an apprentice building which we will start on in May....(schedule of workshops attached).
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >To get to La Paix, take I 79 to Exit 99, go towards Weston - left turn from exit....Go through Weston to Rt. 33 west - go about 15 miles to Alum Bridge. Crooked Run Road on your left - turn left on Crooked Run, go about 2-l/2 miles to mailbox on right which says La Paix Farm, turn left again, go past 3 trailers to house at end of road. Entrance has sign saying La Paix Farm. Please let me know if you are coming so I have enough chairs, tables and food for everyone... If anyone wants to stay over, please let me know - we are working on renovating the efficiency apt. over the root cellar now and that will probably be ready for guests (will be used for apprentices starting in April)...... There are also three other guest beds in house. (as there are no apprentices right now)....
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >As soon as we have a consensus on date, I will let everyone know. Namaste. Myra
<DIV></DIV>> > ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>> > From: Yun Que
<DIV></DIV>> > To: lapaix at iolinc.net
<DIV></DIV>> > Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 11:27 PM
<DIV></DIV>> > Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> > I wish it was kinky I could use a little of that in my life!! It's a done deal got it done today since I can't drive in this snow without some kind of breaks. So I'm on the road again! After the 25th is fine with me. Will have the clay thing worked out tomorrow, I hope if nothing else in my life falls apart. smile
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> > for the good of all
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> > >From: "Myra Bonhage-Hale"
<DIV></DIV>> > >To: "Yun Que"
<DIV></DIV>> > >Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>> > >Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:16:31 -0500
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >Could Richard Cava bring you if you can't get your bad slave cylinder (sounds awfully kinky) fixed soon? I thought we could meet sometime after Jan. 25th. How does that sound? I will furnish lunch, tea etc - and even a bed if you want to stay overnight.....Namaste. Myra
<DIV></DIV>> > > ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>> > > From: Yun Que
<DIV></DIV>> > > To: lapaix at iolinc.net
<DIV></DIV>> > > Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 8:31 PM
<DIV></DIV>> > > Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > Oh my Myra am I the prime instigator? !!! found the clay at Pearl Paint in NYC but they were closed for inventory so I will call and see about it on Monday. I will let you know if it is possible. I will also call around to the local craft shops and see if they have it at a reasonable price. I have a bad slave cylinder on my car so that will have to get fixed before I do any long trips.
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > for the good of all Cat
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > >From: "Myra Bonhage-Hale"
<DIV></DIV>> > > >To:
<DIV></DIV>> > > >CC: "Yun Que" ,"Richard Cava"
<DIV></DIV>> > > >Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>> > > >Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:56:50 -0500
<DIV></DIV>> > > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > >Yes, Yes Yes. I thought that was George Washington's address, but wasn't sure...duhh. I will let you know the exact date of the Tea and See here in January as soon as I set it up with the prime other instigator....... Will also look up your website - and will check out photo on page 6. Can I use some of your background when I put in web site workshops on cob for t he dates you suggest? See you in Jan. Namaste. Myra
<DIV></DIV>> > > > ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>> > > > From: Raduazo at aol.com
<DIV></DIV>> > > > To: lapaix at iolinc.net
<DIV></DIV>> > > > Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 4:37 PM
<DIV></DIV>> > > > Subject: Re: Cob: Workshops 2003
<DIV></DIV>> > > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > > Mt Vernon is George Washington's estate on the Potomac River. I would love to stop by in January. My name is Ed Raduazo AKA Henry E. Raduazo. I used to work in The US Patent and Trademark Office in Building Structures about (33 years). If you go to http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-adv.htm and select "all years" and search "raduazo and foundation" or "raduazo and wall" or "raduazo and..." you can see some of the US patents that I issued. I also worked 3 weeks on Marry Alice's house cob house in BC (color picture page 6 left center in The Hand Sculpted House)
<DIV></DIV>> > > > I also worked 10 days on the Greenfire cob house of the Hogan's. I worked with Mots on a straw bale house near Baltimore and helped Peter Bonay's Straw house near Richmond and Kathy Weintraub's Straw bale house In West Virginia. I also provided bamboo spikes for those houses to hold the straw bales in place. I have a nearly unlimited supply of 2" bamboo if you need any. I also have windows do you need a big piece of double insulated glass?
<DIV></DIV>> > > > Ed
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > >
<DIV></DIV>> > > Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>> > Protect your PC - Click here for McAfee.com VirusScan Online [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> get 2 months FREE* [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]