Cob: cob blocks?

andrea arnold yodasroom at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 15:35:22 CST 2003

you may want to look into compressed earth blocks
(CEB's).  This is something different than adobe.  It
sounds to me that it is simiilar to traditional rammed
earth.  I mean, either way you have made a mix and you
are compressing it - whether that means with a tamper,
a machine, or a press, ya know?  I've also learned
that the main thing about adobe vs. cob, rammed earth,
etc is that even though they have the same
ingredients, adobe ends up w/ more air in it - this
means better insulating, but also more brittle just in
terms of weathering in the rain, thus it is in mainly
dry climates, where as cob, rammed earth, etc are not
limited to dry climates.  Still not totally sure where
CEB's fall.

Anyway, this (CEB's)mix is made with very little
water, and when compressed in a press,compresses out
much of the excess water so that they are just damp,
and the volume is decreased about 30% by the press.
They still have to sit a bit to dry out before use.
Blocks can vary in size and shape depending on the
press.  I have seen mention of CEB's needing a bit of
cement as a stabilizerin the mix, and also references
that it does not.  Similar info on needing and not
needing a cement based mortar or a cement based
stucco.  I'm not sure if this is something that works
in all climates, or if it is just for hot dry areas.
It's a very very long-time established building method
in other countries, not sure where or how much has
been done in the US.

This info is mainly from a chapter in "The Art of
Natural Building".  the author of the article is Wayne
Nelson, he lives in Gorgia and works w/construction
and environmental resources for Habitat for Hum.
Internat'l, he has experience with CEB's in multiple
countries.  The book has his addreess, phone number,
and email if you want to know more.

 - Andrea