Cob:

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:07:46 CST 2003

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Sheila Allan" <allan at direct.ca>
To: "Amanda Peck"
<ap615 at hotmail.com>,<writejill1 at cox.net>,<coblist at deatech.com>
Subject: Re: Cob:
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:44:11 -0800

Hello, I'm new. I have a question about this method. Sounds like you throw
rocks in between to pieces of plywood and pour cement in the top. It seems
to me that there would be a lot of gaps in between the rocks using this
method. Am I not picturing it right? Are the sections of plywood really low
or is the cement incredibly wet?

Thanks,
-Sheila

 > http://www.homestead.org/rockwork.htm
 >
 > There is another method that gives nice flat walls; it is much faster and
 > you can use any shape rocks you wish. This method was described by Helen
And
 > Scott Nearing, but many of the present-day homesteaders have never read
 > their books. For this method you use two (or more) sheets of plywood for
the
 > "forms" for your walls. Set the plywood in place on the foundation and
use
 > some wire to hold them apart for the width of wall that you want. I drill
 > several matching holes in the two sheets of plywood, so that the wires
will
 > line up. Pieces of wood, cut to the right size, can be used to hold the
 > plywood apart until you can drop some rocks between them. You will need
some
 > 2"X4"s to support the forms from the outside as well. Once you have
enough
 > rocks in your "form" to hold them in place, remove the pieces of wood.
Then