Cob: slip formed walls

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 17 21:07:54 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Hi Amanda, Cat here!  I am doing my cob house a small one, with a dry stack stone foundation.  This takes much push and shove and is not fast, but it is beautiful.  My daughter and I pushed cob into the voids between the stones.  We are from CA and so we have seen many dry stacks being built.  After a bit its like a jig-saw puzzle. Our knee wall is just that up to our knees that's what we used to measure.  The foundation is 20" deep and the wall above ground about 18-20" A small stone rubble was put at the bottom of the foundation ditch, We did this for no other reason than other old buildings in the area used this and it seems to be working.  Some one told me that Frank LLoyd also used this for his foundations in this area so who knows who did it first most likely the first settlers here, immigrants from Germany.   We used solid sticks we found to push the cob in leaving holes for drying and for more cob to bite if necessary.  We worked from the inside, leaving the outside more stone.  So far the foundation is in good shape and the cob is rock hard and has not degraded through much rain and now snow.  No stones have slipped either.  I will keep everyone informed  of progress.  I can not comment on tractor cob because it's not my thing.  I do use a horse for moving stones and will ask them to do some stomping around in the mud this spring for me as long as it's not deep and won't pull tendons.  </P></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat</P></DIV>
<P> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Amanda Peck" <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: tms at northcoast.com, coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: slip formed walls
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:13:26 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>True to the first bit. Waiting on publication of tractor cob
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>booklet, on the second. The turtle semi-formed/dumped method is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>pretty interesting as well. From the number of people wanting to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>unsubscribe, I'd guess there are a lot of lurkers.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Charmaine wrote (snipped)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the method described was not exactly right.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>ya know I wanted to comment that with all the complaining about "get
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>back to cob discussion" I find I see/ or receive very little
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>feedback on topics such as tractor cob or turtle cob or even stone
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>use...are folks just reading and not participating???
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>