Cob: slip formed walls

Patricia L. MacKenzie ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 10:47:09 CST 2003

<P>Re: your comment on the bottom of the list - I unfortunately haven't time to read all, just select messages. Much of what I am reading is several at a time, but lack the background to comment, since I cannot participate actively outside to contribute personal experience. If this isn't okay, please email me and let me know. I honestly thought it was okay to do that. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to continue to "lurk" and read just some of the messages.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Charmaine <TMS at NORTHCOAST.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: Charmaine <TMS at NORTHCOAST.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>To: Sheila Allan <ALLAN at DIRECT.CA>
<DIV></DIV>>CC: Amanda Peck <AP615 at HOTMAIL.COM>, writejill1 at cox.net, coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: slip formed walls
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:47:14 -0800
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>the method described was not exactly right.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>with slip form stone some precision is needed. bottomless wall
<DIV></DIV>>formworks are made of wood, then stones are placed facing best
<DIV></DIV>>side out (to outdoors) and IN if to be facing interior, then a
<DIV></DIV>>cement mix is poured in the middle and left to set, then the forms
<DIV></DIV>>removed and moved up and repeated, this is very heavy work depending
<DIV></DIV>>on rocks used, and mistake happen but you don't see them till after
<DIV></DIV>>the forms come off.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Making a flat poured wall of whatever materials, even conventional,
<DIV></DIV>>then facing it with stones that are sliced in half, or flatish, or
<DIV></DIV>>heaven forbid those phony "rocks" that my bank used, can be just
<DIV></DIV>>mortared on. ( of course you can cast your own "tufa stone " rocks
<DIV></DIV>>as needed for special fit too)
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>The video Art of Slipform Stone Masonry shows a way to make the
<DIV></DIV>>walls against a INSULATED wall as the inside form, and so walls are
<DIV></DIV>>built from the outside view only. they sheet rocked the inside, but
<DIV></DIV>>other options are there too for clever folks.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>IN any case the old book by the Schwenke on Build a Stone house is
<DIV></DIV>>not longer in print, Ken Kerns Stone Masonry is good for some wall
<DIV></DIV>>build info, and "Living Homes" gives the same stone wall info as the
<DIV></DIV>>video mentioned.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Ms. Charmaine Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
<DIV></DIV>>http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com http://www.papercrete.com
<DIV></DIV>>PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
<DIV></DIV>>707-441-1632 tms at northcoast.com
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>ya know I wanted to comment that with all the complaining about "get
<DIV></DIV>>back to cob discussion" I find I see/ or receive very little
<DIV></DIV>>feedback on topics such as tractor cob or turtle cob or even stone
<DIV></DIV>>use...are folks just reading and not participating???