Cob: discussion participation: was slip formed walls

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Sat Jan 18 12:30:43 CST 2003

You know it's funny that  my simple comment about discussing cob is
getting more discussion  then actual making of cob.  this leads me to
wonder i f possibly there are more people new to cob who want to learn
rather than ( like the straw bale group) people who are outright
building?  There is nothing wrong with either, but I noticed a vast
difference in this list in others like Organic Architecture, and
Papercrete lists where people argue hotly and share idea and mistakes
more often.

I am betting since cob is more labor intensive, and less "code" approved
that many people  haven't started a big project?  Maybe we can take a
show of hands of who is building and who is learning?
Me, I just experiment furiously since I do hear from a lot of people who
are just getting started, and ask questions about mixing materials or
using alt materials, etc.I built a  big cob garden bench 4 years ago,
and that was a learning experience from start to finish!

Patricia I wasn't aiming any comments to you directly....people are
always free to lurk as far as I know..the problem with some lists of the
too much shooting off of mouth with foot firmly implanted too.

If this is more of a Learner/Reader group then it makes sense  not to
see a lot of dialog online...

I just got an order from a woman in NM who built  a cob house  10 years
ago and NEVER knew it was called that, or that there were others doing
this too...she had only one reference- Nader Khalili's book , so she
called her method "piled clay", since she piled it up...so there is a
wide world of interested people out there.

Charmaine  >> who is sorta glad she brought this up

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com