Cob: discussion participation

Lyric clfb at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 18 13:05:28 CST 2003

Hmmm, you know, I have erased my reply to this four times now. It was all
trite reasons why I am quiet on this list so often and excuses are
unbecoming so I suppose the real answer is that I have been a lurker mainly
because I simply have not taken the time to do otherwise.

My fault, no excuses. I could list 'reasons' aplenty but in truth they are a
load of crap. ;)  I haven't taken the time to respond as much as I should.
Could have, didn't, should, will try to do so more often.

As to the members of this list being the innexperienced... while I think
that may be somewhat true, as cob is perhaps the least participated in
natural building method, I also think that there is perhaps a bit too much
flaming and too little acceptance for differences that go on here. People
here SEEM TO ME to be a little more sensitive than they are in other places.
Each reply is viewed as a personal attack or affront, not simply a reply
from an individual who may see things differently than you do.

Perhaps it is because so many cobbers are personally attached to the
methods, it being a good portion art and/or spirituality and not simply a
mathematical building equation that can be quantified. Most cobbers tend to
'feel it' more than calculate it. It is easier to put your calculations up
for review than it is to put your heart out there. (I am not saying I am any
kind of exception to this, I could likely lead the gang. ;)  )

However at the same time there are those who the discussion on discussing IS
more emotional and so it fires them into responding. Rather akin to the
fight or flight response I suppose. Some will not want their inner workings
exposed like that and others will feel a poke from their inner workings and
be prodded into a vehement response.

Just my .02.

Chey

"Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and
jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing
thousands and pillaging the very hills?"
-Kahlil Gibran, "The Voice of the Poet"