Cob: Make your own windows

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 09:58:14 CST 2003

In this thread someone asked for a book, Cat said, look, salvage, make, but
don't start your woodworking career on windows (she's right, at least if you
want them to open).

I had a friend who lived less than 50 miles from a company that made
windows, got nice insulated windows for his house at 1/3 the normal price
because they had made a bunch in a non-standard size for someone who wimped
out at the last moment.  I believe he thought there were always already made
windows in the back of their storage area that were quite inexpensive.
Although, as Cat said, one would want to check seals.

Who is it, David and Jeannie Stiles? have a handful of books on building
retreats, cabins, playground equipment, etc.  One of them has some very
simple looking, opening, windows that you could do with carpentry rather
than woodworking.  They won't be lovely insulated ones.  They might well be
drafty, although I think I remember there was a cure for that.

If I clean up  the piles of stuff in here soon, I'll post the titles of a
bunch of books.