Cob: Make your own windows

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 19:01:13 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here!  this I know about, I design cabinets and have a small woodworking company.  Ok try a magazine called Fine Homebuilding.  Or any of the many wood working and home improvement mags out there.  This old house can be good.  Do you have wood working equipment or are you going to do it by hand?  By hand then you will want to look at an old window and go from there.  Maybe if you can get to Amish country or find a finish carpenter who would be willing to get you started.  There are in the US wood working programs in most High Schools that may be a source of information.  I go around and get windows that are being thrown out or at garage sales.  Folks get new triple pain from Sears and throw away the old ones.  Usually new frames  and some pains have to be fixed and a load of paint scraped, of course one has the disadvantage of having to fit the design to the window instead of the other way around.  If you are going to set double insulated or triple then you will need to find a supplier that will sell you the sealed glass.  Seconds can be had at some window outlets but the risk is that they are seconds because the seal is faulty and that will cause condensation to appear between the pains, not good.   The little pained windows are tricky and you need some specific tooling to make them happen.  And I want to stress this if you are new to power tools, don't start with windows.  In my business I have a thing about fingers!!!    </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat <BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Shae Tebbetts" <YOURELOVEDBYGOD at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Shae Tebbetts" <YOURELOVEDBYGOD at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Make your own windows
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:00:43 -0600
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>In the past I had stumbled across some information on the Internet
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>about how to make your own windows. I think there was a book that
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>contained information on the subject. I'm pretty sure that I read
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>about how some of you were thinking of making your own windows, so I
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>was hoping that you could tell me where I can find more information
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>about this. Isn't there a book on the subject or something? I
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>haven't had any success doing a search on the Internet because there
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>are so many sites on building windows that have nothing to do with
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>house windows. I need some info please.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Thanks,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>shae
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>_________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail