Cob: Bentonite

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Jan 20 02:30:00 CST 2003

Thanks for the information on ponds and lagoons, dcv..  Someone also
mentioned was the very old traditional use of gley, for pond or dam
usage.

Bentonite, a type of clay, can be used for this purpose as long as it is
wet.   From my understanding gley and clay shrinks when it dries,
leaving cracks.  There would be some kind of time period until any
cracks would become stopped.  For a full time wet pond this would not be
a problem.

The concern should be about its performance when it would be dry and wet
alternatively.
This should be a concern and used tested if possible.  In ponds the
cracks from the dried bottom clay let water through.  Usually, buckets
of general clay or special clay such as bentonite, are needed plug up
the cracks suffering from dry crack.   Anybody out there with experience
in this for dry and wet alternating situations.  There should be some
method to make it possible.

Darel