Cob: Re: Bentonite (cat litter)

Kyle Towers ktowers at locl.net
Mon Jan 20 07:30:02 CST 2003

    I've used the unscented Wal-Mart litter to make fidobe.  It works OK,
but it takes a some effort to break up the chunks, and some fraction of the
chunks are actually small pebbles or large sand grains.  The fidobe was made
with newspaper and was light on the clay.  It shrank to half its original
size while drying, but was very light and very strong (and probably a darn
good insulator), but it could never be exposed to the slightest amount of
water w/o disintegrating.

    You can also check w/ a local well driller.  Standard practice is to
seal around the well casing with a bag of pure, finely powdered bentonite.
This keeps surface water from contaminating the well.

Regards,

Kyle