Cob: Builders with disabilities

susannah at cyber-dyne.com susannah at cyber-dyne.com
Mon Jan 20 13:29:48 CST 2003

Hello --
I too use a wheelchair sometimes-but-not-always, so I have an idea of what
you're talking about.  It seems to me that you could do a lot of this
stuff, and that you definitely want other people to do the heaviest
parts.  For examples, it seems like you could easily do the packing of cob
around windows and doors, earth plasters (except the ceiling and highest
parts of walls), making the windows and doors or rehabbing used ones
(scraping, sanding, repainting, etc.).  A lot of the heavy stuff sounds
like you COULD do it too, like mixing the cob or shoveling ingredients into
a mechanical mixer, but anything that involves shoveling or heavy lifting
is SO much easier for someone who can use their legs for leverage.  So if
you have other people who can do it, it would be a lot less work for them
than it would be for you. I dunno about piling the mixed cob to make the
walls.  Maybe you would just need to try and see?  Some other things, of
course would be basically impossible to do yourself, like raising heavy
beams and maybe the roof in general.

And of course you would probably want to sit on something other than your
wheelchair, so it won't get covered with mud :-).  A stump, or a cruddy old
stool or kitchen chair from Goodwill.  If you need to roll around (for
example, doing the plasters) you could probably sit on a tarp that drapes
all around the wheelchair like a Christmas-tree skirt, and lift it up and
tuck it under your legs when you roll.  I have been known to do this myself
:-).

I hope I'm saying something useful here, and not just stating things that
are already obvious to you. Good luck, and please remember not to push your
body TOO hard :-).