Cob: Builders with disabilities

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 08:32:52 CST 2003

Buck wants thought about builders with disabilities, namely good upper body
strength, in a wheelchair.

The really daunting thing about many of the "natural building" techniques is
how slow they are.  So EVERYBODY does them, if possible, as a group process.
  What we all need to do is take a workshop, give us a better idea of how
our strengths and weaknesses mesh with the process.

Could you (or someone like me who hates heights) work off a scaffold ten
feet off the ground packing cob?

Is there a tractor that you can drive?

Could you mix cob with your chair--one that can get muddy beyond belief?
Send loads up to the scaffold with a slanted conveyor belt?  Organize other
people into teams and jobs?  Carve off big bulges in the cob?

How are you at making stone walls to use as stem walls?  Strength is
important here, but so is your eye for what stone goes where. and experience
helps, I'm told.