Cob: light clay infill question

Grei Raven Shadow Walker greyraven_r at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 22:18:22 CST 2003

What about incorporating corner bracing into the stick
frame, you'ld still have a nice open breathing frame
for the light clay, but it would be much stiffer than
normal stick framing?

I've been wondering if using a nice thick (6"-9") of
light clay on the outside of a cob structure would
prove sufficient insulation for a cold climate
structure?
--- Darel Henman <henman at it.to-be.co.jp> wrote:

> stefanson wrote:
> >..... But the light clay needs to be
> > able to move moisture from the inside to the
> outside, so you might have a
> > problem if you had sheathing on the outside (but
> maybe not, I'm certainly
> > not an expert).
> > I've heard of people using it as attic insulation,
> but that
> > typically has an inch or so of breathing space to
> help moisture evaporate.
>
> I have seen something like a version of it on walls,
> but with a little
> more soil in the mixture, with wood on the outside
> and a mud plaster
> over it on the inside.  It works and I didn't see
> any problems.  A lime
> rendering could probably also be applied for kitchen
> areas and toilet
> areas.
>
> Charmaine have you seen or heard of a light clay
> covered with a lime
> rendering?
>
> Darel

=====
"When I look into the abyss it stares back at me, but not as the cold
dark beast you perceive it to be.
When I am gazed upon by the abyss I see the eyes of a mother, a lover, an old friend.
When I look into the warm familiar eyes of the abyss I see that which
needs me as much as I have need.
I remember, I rejoice, I renew!"
by Grei R. S. Walker, '01