Cob: light clay infill question

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Mon Jan 20 23:34:35 CST 2003

 A lime
rendering could probably also be applied for kitchen areas and toilet
areas.

Charmaine have you seen or heard of a light clay covered with a lime
rendering?

Darel

Yes, German barns are clay/woodchip/straw wall infill with a plaster of clay and then lime over it.  This is standard, no cladding necessary, but EVEN if the walls were clad with real wood ( not something that does not breath well like Haridplank, etc) there will be some transmission of vapor naturally.   Clay does not harbor mold growth so it would not be a problem as far as I know.

I did some fibercrete infill against old carriage barn walls,between studs, with  no vapor barrier, and had no problems with all the areas I tested.
this was a sawdust-clay-lime mix I was messing with as alt to cement in papercrete.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com