Cob: light clay infill question

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Tue Jan 21 11:35:11 CST 2003

Hi John, good to hear from you too.   My comments are based on basic
 accepted principles that clay is nonpathogenic, otherwise over time ALL
clay would develop bacterial-mold growth and the earth would be covered
with it.  This I have read in books, can't refer to the source, but
geology/pottery books have this type of info, also  some earth building
books.

In addition I have clay lying about in many uses here on the north coast
and the only time I see any growth,   usually moss or grass, is when
organic material is left at the surface, i.e. not buried.  as it is with
fibers in cob.

I have tubs, and buckets and lumps of clay in bowls, sitting in water,
no water, etc. and I never see any growth of anything. There is NO food
value for molds unless, say birdseed fell into a bucket with clay, then
things happen eventually.

SO if cobbers are coating the straw or fibers ( I use sawdust, paper,
etc. which will  HOST something in the right condition) with clay
completely while making cob then it is not a problem.

In addition I have a huge vat of unfinished paper-fiber crete ( no
cement) It sits in the shade with a cover over it- perfect for some sort
of growth, but none occurs because there is lime in the mix of
clay-paper. It literally retards any growth of anything, which is why
farmers whitewashed barn walls.

I have been here on the wet north coast for over 5 years, and
grasses/molds/green stuff will grow on fiber doormats (organic jute
etc.) only when some starter material is present to allow growth.

Your client should call the Ag dept. or the building dept. to see if
they have any info. on this "famous" mold. I have not seen any.
Although I just saw a huge stick frame home going up with a monster
closet (facing a beautiful view of the redwoods), with nary even a tiny
a WINDOW that would allow light and inhibit any Black mold famous here.

Everyone knows that when you leave clothing ( with bacteria and minute
food particles on them) in a cold, dark closet with little air
circulation that mold will grow. Except these stupid monster house
builders I guess.

as a note I read somewhere that this toxic mold issue is due to the
complete plastic sealing of buildings, etc with off gassing materials
that don't breathe, so maby have a bit of a draft in an old house is a
good thing eh? and of course remember that lawyers are benefiting from
this, litigation cases are continuing to soar..

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com