Cob: nc cobbers and codes

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Thu Jan 23 14:31:49 CST 2003

Phil., a clay/cob and stone ( that you are "filthy" with : > )  is call
Clay and Bool, from the old Scottish methods where they had little wood
to work with, they laid up walls with simple form boards, and poured in
the cob/clay mix, added roundish rocks, and then more clay, so depending
on the  thickness of the wall, they had stones showing inside and out.

 The only danger I see is not having enough cob contact, and having a
weakened wall.  There is a drawing in the Scottish earth book I have
that shows a nicely spaced bool wall.

I'd test it first and make an outdoor running wall and let it sit for a
bit ( months) to see how it behaves. This method is very similar to
stone/cement slipforming, but with clay instead of cement. and they may
have plastered the heck out of the outside with clay/lime to stop any
drafts.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com